This topic includes the following sections:
- Download Java for Mac OS X - Apple vetted Java environment, designed to be as highly integrated as possible within its own operating system and to improve security, reliability, and performance.
- Java SE 7 Archive Downloads. Go to the Oracle Java Archive page. Thank you for downloading this release of the Java TM Platform, Standard Edition Development Kit (JDK TM).The JDK is a development environment for building applications, applets, and components using the Java programming language.
Java mac free download - Java Update for Mac OS X 10.3.9, Apple Java for OS X 10.6, Apple Java for OS X 10.5, and many more programs. Jul 14, 2020 Java software for your computer, or the Java Runtime Environment, is also referred to as the Java Runtime, Runtime Environment, Runtime, JRE, Java Virtual Machine, Virtual Machine, Java VM, JVM, VM, Java plug-in, Java plugin, Java add-on or Java download.
System Requirements for Installing the JDK on macOS
The following are the system requirements for installing the JDK on macOS:
Any Intel-based computer running macOS.
You cannot install Java for a single user. Installing the JDK on macOS is performed on a systemwide basis for all users. Administrator privileges are required to install the JDK on macOS.
Determining the Default JDK Version on macOS
When starting a Java application through the command line, the system uses the default JDK.
You can determine which version of the JDK is the default by entering
java -version in a Terminal window. If the installed version is 14 Interim 0, Update 0, and Patch 0, then you see a string that includes the text
14. For example:
To run a different version of Java, either specify the full path, or use the
java_home tool. For example:
$ /usr/libexec/java_home -v 14 --exec javac -version
Installing the JDK on macOS
- Download the JDK
Before the file can be downloaded, you must accept the license agreement.
- From either the browser Downloads window or from the file browser, double-click the
.dmgfile to start it.A Finder window appears that contains an icon of an open box and the name of the
- Double-click the
JDK 14.pkgicon to start the installation application.The installation application displays the Introduction window.
- Click Continue.
- Click Install. A window appears that displays the message: Installer is trying to install new software. Enter your password to allow this.
- Enter the Administrator user name and password and click Install Software.The software is installed and a confirmation window is displayed.
.dmgfile if you want to save disk space.
Uninstalling the JDK on macOSYou must have Administrator privileges.
Do not attempt to uninstall Java by removing the Java tools from
/usr/bin. This directory is part of the system software and any changes will be reset by Apple the next time that you perform an update of the OS.
- Go to
- Remove the directory whose name matches the following format by executing the
rmcommand as a root user or by using the
For example, to uninstall 14 Interim 0 Update 0 Patch 0:
$ rm -rf jdk-14.jdk
Installation FAQ on macOS Platform
This topic provides answers for the following frequently asked questions about installing JDK on macOS computers.
1. How do I find out which version of Java is the system default?
When you run a Java application from the command line, it uses the default JDK. If you do not develop Java applications, then you do not need to worry about this. See Determining the Default JDK Version on macOS.
2. How do I uninstall Java?
See Uninstalling the JDK on macOS.
3. After installing Java for macOS 2012-006, can I continue to use Apple's Java 6 alongside the macOS JDK for Java 14?
If you want to continue to develop with Java 6 using command-line, then you can modify the startup script for your favorite command environment. For bash, use this:
$ export JAVA_HOME=`/usr/libexec/java_home -v 14`
Download Java 7 For Mac Free
Some applications use
/usr/bin/java to call Java. After installing Java for macOS 2012-006,
/usr/bin/java will find the newest JDK installed, and will use that for all of the Java-related command-line tools in
/usr/bin. You may need to modify those applications to find Java 6, or contact the developer for a newer version of the application.
Download Java For Mac Free
4. What happened to the Java Preferences app in Application Utilities?
Download Java For Mac Free
The Java Preferences app was part of the Apple Java installation and is not used by Oracle Java. Therefore, macOS releases from Apple that do not include Apple Java will not include Java Preferences.