2020-10-27 10:56:49 • Filed to: Choose Right Mac Software • Proven solutions
You are wondering how to access a free Mac PDF editor, or how to choose the right PDF editor for Mac? Below, we'll cover 10 commonly used PDF editor Mac, all of which are compatible with macOS 10.15 Catalina. By reading this list, you will be able to determine the most cost-effective Mac PDF editing software that also best meets your business needs.
Adobe Reader Mac performs the same function as Windows version. Thus, it gives you the ability to open PDF files directly on the interface. It is easy to use and all you have to do is to import the file into the interface and it does the rest. This program can read files and at the same time allows you to annotate each file in a simple way. Browse, borrow, and enjoy titles from the The Free Library of Philadelphia digital collection. If you think you might need an FTP app, CyberDuck is an oldie but a goodie - and can be downloaded for free. If you go to the Mac App Store, it'll cost you £17.99.
Top 10 PDF Editor Mac
PDFelement is a PDF solution integrate with a variety of convenient and practical features for editing, conversion, annotation, OCR, form processing and digital signatures.
This well-rounded PDF editing software is popular among users and has a step up above the competition due its excellent form field recognition and data extraction technology.
- Fully compatible with macOS 10.15 Catalina.
- Powerful PDF editing and annotation tools that allow for a smooth editing experience.
- It has robust PDF creation and conversion features.
- It allows you to fill and sign PDF forms easily.
Pros of this program include clear function classification, a complete set of PDF tools, OCR and batch processing, high compatibility with all operating systems, simple user experience, and interface, and the ability for document conversions.
Because of its focus on simplicity, it has less advanced features than programs like Adobe Acrobat. You can download a free trial version to test and purchase the full version after testing.
Supported Systems: Mac, Windows, iOS, Android
- A smooth and simple interface design
The full functionalities can be enjoyed by both Windows and Mac users.
- A better experience with PDF forms
The automatic form recognition feature enables you to create an editable form with just one click.
- PDF editing tools
You can export data from paper or electronic forms into an editable Excel form.
- Intelligent and smooth editing features.
A better PDF editing experience lets you keep the fonts and formatting of your original file while converting it.
- It can convert standard PDF file format to longer-lasting PDF / A format for a longer archiving period.
2. Acrobat for Mac
Acrobat is also a powerful tool. As the world's best desktop PDF solution, the brand new look of Acrobat will blow your mind. It also includes a mobile version that lets you fill in, sign, and share PDFs on any device at any location. However, Adobe Acrobat XI has ended support, meaning you might need to turn to an Acrobat alternative if you are looking for dedicated support. Click here to discover the best Acrobat alternative options.
- Fast document comparison.
- It supports operational procedures for review and approval.
- Automatic form field recognition.
- Create a PDF from Office formats quickly and easily.
It has stable functionalities, high efficiency, and high compatibility.
It has a lot of advanced features that are complicated and difficult to use for beginners. Plus, the bloated features mean it comes at a higher cost, and you need to pay in order to use the full version.
Supported Systems: Windows, Mac, iOS
Price: $179.88 / Year
- An attractive user interface that supports touch functionality
Fully compatible with mobile devices and supports touch functionality with a user-friendly interface.
- Work anytime, anywhere.
Acrobat has all the tools needed for converting, editing, and signing a PDF anytime and anywhere. You can start a document at work, modify it during the transit ride home, and then send it for approval from the comfort of your living room.
- Edit any file any time
You won't need to spend your valuable time re-creating new documents. Simply export or convert your file into an easily editable format.
3. PDF Expert
PDF Expert is one of Readdle's premium Apps. It has been the leading producer of PDF processing software on the iOS platform for quite some time. Since the launch of PDF Expert on the Mac platform in 2015, it has become the best application on the Mac App Store in 2015 and has been recommended by Apple editors.
- Fast speed for page organization and functionalities
- Fluent in adding annotations and editing
- Simple text and image editing functions
It possesses excellent reading experience, simple operation, and easy to use. Plus, it has a nice user interface.
It has fewer features than other PDF editors, and PDF compatibility could be improved.
Supported Systems: Mac, iOS
- Professional reading experience
There are smooth scrolling and a quick search function. Choose your favorite layout and complete any task quickly and easily.
- Editing PDFs is seamless.
PDF Expert for Mac helps you format text and paragraphs easily. It will automatically detect fonts, and editing a PDF document is as easy as using any other program to edit a document.
- Fill in and sign PDF forms effortlessly.
Fill PDF forms easily, such as application forms, tax reports, shopping lists, you name it. You can sign a contract by using a legally valid personal e-signature in just a few clicks.
- Integration, sharing, and collaboration
Add notes or comments to easily collaborate with colleagues. You can also use a password to protect your sensitive files and documents.
- Compatibility with iPhone, iPad, and more
PDF Expert is compatible with all Apple platform products: Mac, iPad, and iPhone. It allows you to transfer documents across these devices seamlessly. Your work can be done anytime and anywhere.
Get the best PDF Expert alternative now - PDFelement.
PDFpenPro is a professional program heavily influenced by Preview. It is fully compatible with macOS X for PDF documents. It keeps the original operation processing feature of Preview, which fits more user's operating habits and is more convenient for a beginner user. There are also functional enhancements. You can add signatures, text, and images, as well as make changes, correct typos, and perform OCR on scanned documents. It allows you to fill and create fillable forms, as well as convert PDF to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint formats.
- Simple form field creation
- Intuitive annotation properties
It meets basic PDF editing needs, and the operating experience is similar to that of Preview.
Not all languages are supported, such as Chinese. It also has weak text and page editing capabilities compared to other programs.
Unique Features: Mac, iOS
- Generic PDF editing tools
You can use PDFpenPro to add text and signatures, amend the text, and use OCR for scanned documents.
- Make interactive PDF forms for Mac and Windows.
You may create an interactive form by using check boxes, text boxes, radio buttons, and interactive signature fields.
- Exports MS Office formats to PDF
It allows you to export a PDF to Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and save as a PDF/A format.
- Store your PDF in the cloud
You can edit your PDF at any time and can use the PDFpen on an iPad or iPhone to edit a PDF seamlessly over iCloud or Dropbox.
As a built-in PDF software on Mac, Preview allows for the limited ability to read and browse PDF formats, as well as make simple annotations. It can meet your primary requirement of reading and editing PDFs. But if you have more advanced PDF editing needs, Preview will not be suitable.
Build-in system, more preview formats, and read files fluently.
Poor compatibility, lack of professional functions, and PDF content can only be edited in the most basic ways.
Supported Systems: Mac
- Quick annotation
- You can quickly arrange pages by dragging and dropping thumbnails
- The camera is able to recognize handwritten signatures quickly.
Learn more about Preview here >>
Skim is a free Mac PDF editor. It functions like Preview, offering markup tools that help highlight important PDF content. You can also add and edit notes, crop PDF files, and more.
- View PDF files.
- Add and edit notes.
- Highlight text.
- Take snapshots of PDF files.
- Give presentations with built-in transitions.
7. PDF Nomad
PDF Nomad is unique editing software that provides a number of editing tools. The software supports the editing of images and texts in PDFs. It also allows you to arrange, split, and merge PDF pages in a document. Some of the tools in this software also make it easier for you to rotate, scale, and crop PDF files.
- It can be used to edit all aspects of PDF files, including images.
- It comes with an Optical Character Recognition (OCR) feature that makes editing scanned PDFs very easy.
- You can use it to annotate a PDF document.
- The free version lacks many features, and at $75 the pro version is somewhat expensive compared to others.
8. Master PDF Editor for Mac
Master PDF Editor is PDF editing software for Mac that comes with loads of features allowing you to convert PDF to numerous other file types and edit just about any aspect of your PDF document.
- It can be used to edit both text and images.
- You can convert PDFs to other formats, including Word and Excel.
- It works with Linux.
- The complex interface makes it difficult to use for beginners.
- The free version has limited capabilities.
9. Scribus for Mac
Scribus is a free PDF editing software for Mac that can be used to open PDFs and even edit certain aspects of the PDF document. It is one of the easiest programs to use because the user interface is simple and clean. You can also use it to annotate PDF documents if you want to highlight and edit sections of the document you consider important.
- It is very easy to use.
- It can be used to edit both text and images.
- It can't be used to convert PDFs.
10. PDF Buddy
This is another online tool that can be very useful when you want to edit PDF documents. This PDF editing software for Mac comes with a lot of features that can be used to manipulate a PDF document in many ways. You can add text, add and remove images and even split and merge PDF files. It can also be used to add signatures to your PDF document.
- It is free to use.
- It lets you make numerous edits to your PDF files.
- There is no limit to the size of the PDF file you can work with.
- It sometimes fails to download the file after editing.
There you have it - the 10 Best Free PDF Editor Tools for Mac. Now that you've had time to research the best PDF editor for Mac, don't hesitate to try out PDFelement now to see if it's right for you!
Free Download or Buy PDFelement right now!
Free Download or Buy PDFelement right now!
Buy PDFelement right now!
Buy PDFelement right now!
Optimized Storage in macOS Sierra and later* can save space by storing your content in iCloud and making it available on demand. When storage space is needed, files, photos, movies, email attachments, and other files that you seldom use are stored in iCloud automatically. Each file stays right where you last saved it, and downloads when you open it. Files that you’ve used recently remain on your Mac, along with optimized versions of your photos.
* If you haven't yet upgraded to macOS Sierra or later, learn about other ways to free up storage space.
Find out how much storage is available on your Mac
Choose Apple menu > About This Mac, then click Storage. Each segment of the bar is an estimate of the storage space used by a category of files. Move your pointer over each segment for more detail.
Click the Manage button to open the Storage Management window, pictured below. This button is available only in macOS Sierra or later.
Manage storage on your Mac
The Storage Management window offers recommendations for optimizing your storage. If some recommendations are already turned on, you will see fewer recommendations.
Store in iCloud
Click the Store in iCloud button, then choose from these options:
- Desktop and Documents. Store all files from these two locations in iCloud Drive. When storage space is needed, only the files you recently opened are kept on your Mac, so that you can easily work offline. Files stored only in iCloud show a download icon , which you can double-click to download the original file. Learn more about this feature.
- Photos. Store all original, full-resolution photos and videos in iCloud Photos. When storage space is needed, only space-saving (optimized) versions of photos are kept on your Mac. To download the original photo or video, just open it.
- Messages. Store all messages and attachments in iCloud. When storage space is needed, only the messages and attachments you recently opened are kept on your Mac. Learn more about Messages in iCloud.
Storing files in iCloud uses the storage space in your iCloud storage plan. If you reach or exceed your iCloud storage limit, you can either buy more iCloud storage or make more iCloud storage available. iCloud storage starts at 50GB for $0.99 (USD) a month, and you can purchase additional storage directly from your Apple device. Learn more about prices in your region.
Click the Optimize button, then choose from these options.
- Automatically remove watched movies and TV shows. When storage space is needed, movies or TV shows that you purchased from the iTunes Store and already watched are removed from your Mac. Click the download icon next to a movie or TV show to download it again.
- Download only recent attachments. Mail automatically downloads only the attachments that you recently received. You can manually download any attachments at any time by opening the email or attachment, or saving the attachment to your Mac.
- Don't automatically download attachments. Mail downloads an attachment only when you open the email or attachment, or save the attachment to your Mac.
Optimizing storage for movies, TV shows, and email attachments doesn't require iCloud storage space.
Empty Trash Automatically
Freelib For Macbook
Empty Trash Automatically permanently deletes files that have been in the Trash for more than 30 days.
Freelib For Mac Os
Reduce Clutter helps you to identify large files and files you might no longer need. Click the Review Files button, then choose any of the file categories in the sidebar, such as Applications, Documents, Music Creation, or Trash.
You can delete the files in some categories directly from this window. Other categories show the total storage space used by the files in each app. You can then open the app and decide whether to delete files from within it.
Freelib For Macbook Air
Learn how to redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books.
Where to find the settings for each feature
The button for each recommendation in the Storage Management window affects one or more settings in other apps. You can also control those settings directly within each app.
- If you're using macOS Catalina, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Apple ID, then select iCloud in the sidebar: Store in iCloud turns on the Optimize Mac Storage setting on the right. Then click Options next to iCloud Drive: Store in iCloud turns on the Desktop & Documents Folders setting. To turn off iCloud Drive entirely, deselect iCloud Drive.
In macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click iCloud, then click Options next to iCloud Drive. Store in iCloud turns on the Desktop & Documents Folders and Optimize Mac Storage settings.
- In Photos, choose Photos > Preferences, then click iCloud. Store in iCloud selects iCloud Photos and Optimize Mac Storage.
- In Messages, choose Messages > Preferences, then click iMessage. Store in iCloud selects Enable Messages in iCloud.
- If you're using macOS Catalina, open the Apple TV app, choose TV > Preferences from the menu bar, then click Files. Optimize Storage selects “Automatically delete watched movies and TV shows.”
In macOS Mojave or earlier, open iTunes, choose iTunes > Preferences from the menu bar, then click Advanced. Optimize Storage selects “Automatically delete watched movies and TV shows.”
- In Mail, choose Mail > Preferences from the menu bar, then click Accounts. In the Account Information section on the right, Optimize Storage sets the Download Attachments menu to either Recent or None.
Empty Trash Automatically: From the Finder, choose Finder > Preferences, then click Advanced. Empty Trash Automatically selects “Remove items from the Trash after 30 days.”
Other ways that macOS helps automatically save space
With macOS Sierra or later, your Mac automatically takes these additional steps to save storage space:
- Detects duplicate downloads in Safari, keeping only the most recent version of the download
- Reminds you to delete used app installers
- Removes old fonts, languages, and dictionaries that aren't being used
- Clears caches, logs, and other unnecessary data when storage space is needed
How to free up storage space manually
Even without using the Optimized Storage features of Sierra or later, you can take other steps to make more storage space available:
Freelib For Macbook Pro
- Music, movies, and other media can use a lot of storage space. Learn how to delete music, movies, and TV shows from your device.
- Delete other files that you no longer need by moving them to the Trash, then emptying the Trash. The Downloads folder is good place to look for files that you might no longer need.
- Move files to an external storage device.
- Compress files.
- Delete unneeded email: In the Mail app, choose Mailbox > Erase Junk Mail. If you no longer need the email in your Trash mailbox, choose Mailbox > Erase Deleted Items.
- The Storage pane of About This Mac is the best way to determine the amount of storage space available on your Mac. Disk Utility and other apps might show storage categories such as Not Mounted, VM, Recovery, Other Volumes, Free, or Purgeable. Don't rely on these categories to understand how to free up storage space or how much storage space is available for your data.
- When you duplicate a file on an APFS-formatted volume, that file doesn't use additional storage space on the volume. Deleting a duplicate file frees up only the space required by any data you might have added to the duplicate. If you no longer need any copies of the file, you can recover all of the storage space by deleting both the duplicate and the original file.
- If you're using a pro app and Optimize Mac Storage, learn how to make sure that your projects are always on your Mac and able to access their files.