- This best MKV player for Windows 10 almost supports all video formats, including MKV.
- Play MKV with All-in-one Wondershare MKV Player & Converter. Without further ado, I'd like to.
While Windows 10 has added native support for MKV, many users complain that they cannot play MKV videos on Windows 10. In fact, everyone needs a great media player. Whether you are looking for the simplest of programs to get the task done with a minimum of fuss or you need a tool that gives you complete control over each aspect of image and audio playback, there are plentiful options that will deliver what you want.
The 3 ways mentioned above offer users flexibility for playing 720p/ 1080p MKV video files on Mac system. While installing VLC player is quite easy and quick, converting MKV lets you get a Mac readable file, so you can use it on Mac platform hassle-free later. Also, you can choose to install a QuickTime component to play the MKV file. MKV is quite a popular video format as it is mainly used for storing and distributing high-resolution videos over the Internet. So, if you are looking for applications that will let you play MKV video files on your Mac, then take a look at the following list.
Of course, you are not limited to using only one video player, but with so many programs to choose from, discovering the best MKV file player can be tricky. That is why we are testing the popular video players available to MKV files. This article will show you the top list and you can find the right one for you quickly.
Part 1: Best cross-platform MKV player: AnyMP4 Blu-ray Player
AnyMP4 Blu-ray Player is a versatile media player with extensive features, such as:
1. Play any video files, including MKV, MP4, MOV, AVI, WMV, M4V, MTS, etc.
2. Read multimedia contents on DVDs, DVD folders, ISO or IFO image files.
3. Let you watch Blu-ray discs, Blu-ray folders and ISO image files with the original quality.
4. Offer excellent quality and smoothness playback when playing 4K and 1080p videos.
5. Provide a wide range of custom options to adjust bit rate, frame rate and other parameters.
Apparently, it is the best MKV video player for enjoying MKV files on Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP and Mac OS X.
How to play MKV files without losing quality
Step 1: Import an MKV video into the best MKV player
This MKV player offers two versions, one for Mac OS X and the other for Windows. Download and install the right version to your computer and launch it when you want to watch MKV. Click the Open File button to trigger the open file dialog. Then navigate to the MKV file and open it in the media player.
Step 2: Play MKV on computer
After importing, you will see the menu interface. Then you are allowed to select the desired audio track and subtitle based on your need. Click the Play Movie icon to start enjoying the MKV video.
Note: There are custom options in the Audio and Video menus on the top ribbon, which you can used to adjust the quality and other parameters. Moreover, the Control menu allows you to control the playback, such as adjust the playback speed.
Part 2: Top 7 MKV players for Windows
Top 1: SMPlayer
1. This best MKV player for Windows 10 almost supports all video formats, including MKV, AVI, WMV, M4V, MOV, DAT, MTS, M2TS, DAV, MXF, M3U8, etc.
2. It will remember most of the settings and play video files based on your settings.
3. It can detect the subtitles in your videos and let you to decide which subtitle.
4. You are allowed to completely control the playback of your video file, such as speed, audio track and more.
5. It has the capacity to search subtitles online automatically.
1. It will download extra software when installing, although it is free to download.
2. SMPlayer is not compatible with Windows 7 and earlier.
Top 2: Media Player Classic
1. This MKV media player is capable of VCDs, SVCDs and DVDs without extra software or codecs.
2. The built-in codecs support for subtitles and codecs for LPCM, MP2, 3GP, and more.
3. It is based on the DirectShow architecture and integrates DirectShow decoding filters.
4. If you install a supported TV tuner, you can use the media player to record and play TV programs.
1. It cannot remember your settings, for example, it will play a video from the beginning if you hit stop and start it again.
2. Sometimes, the free MKV player will mute audio by default.
3. This player is only compatible with Windows. (Check here to get more DVD players for Mac.)
Top 3: JetVideo
1. The MKV player for Windows can play almost any video and audio formats like MP4, MOV, WMV, MKV, AVI, MP3, FLAC, AIFF, etc.
2. It permits you to edit tags easily without extra software.
3. The alarm and timer feature is able to set the starting and end points freely.
4. You can control audio volume, video speed and sound effects.
5. The interface is nice-looking and the playback is smooth.
1. Some features take time to learn how to use and beginners might feel frustrated.
2. It is not available to the latest operating systems, like Windows 10/8.
Top 4: MediaMonkey Free
1. The free MKV player supports a variety of multimedia formats, like MKV.
2. It packs a tag editor to adjust video tags automatically.
Play Mkv On Mac Free
3. MediaMonkey is not only a media player but also a library organizer.
4. You can sync multimedia contents between your computer and mobile device within the program.
5. It provides an array of video managing and playback tools for free.
1. The interface is messy and difficult to learn, especially for beginners.
2. The free version lacks some features and you have to purchase the Gold version if you want to advanced tools.
Top 5: uView
1. This MKV media player allows you to play MKV videos from local folders.
2. You can play MKV files with the program while working or playing games.
3. It can be set to stay always on top and lock the window size and position.
4. You are allowed to acquire general data, such as video URL.
5. It is able to stream videos from websites and services, like YouTube, Vimeo, Netflix, and more.
1. It requires you to install Adobe Flash Player on your computer.
2. It is only available to Windows operating systems.
Top 6: FreeSmith Video Player
1. It is a free MKV player that deals well with various media formats and optical discs.
2. The player supports almost any video and audio formats without extra codecs.
3. You can change the videos, like crop, rotate, change the volume, or adjust speed.
4. The full version also allows you to make screenshots, select subtitles and create playlist.
5. The interface is nice.
1. It takes a while to load media files.
2. When playing MKV and other HD videos, it is a bit laggy.
3. There is no full screen control.
Top 7: DAPlayer
1. The best MKV player not only supports standard file formats, but also 1080i/1080p HD videos.
2. It could play region protected DVDs and change your DVD drive from one region to another.
3. The interface is stylish and quite intuitive.
4. It can import video files from the browser, tree view or by dragging and dropping.
5. You can adjust video aspect ratio, image flip, angle or deinterlacing.
1. It is not compatible with Windows 10 or Mac OS X.
2. It cannot play videos on Blu-ray discs.
Top 7 MKV players for Mac
Top 1: VLC Media Player
1. The MKV player for Mac is open source and free of charge without ads or virus.
2. It is able to optimize video and audio playback for chosen device.
3. It can convert MKV to other formats and let you enjoy on any devices.
4. This media player also supports streaming and recording online videos.
5. As a versatile media player, it also have the capacities to convert videos and rip DVDs.
1. Though VLC has a lot of functionalities, they are hidden in the menus and difficult to find out.
2. It takes longer time to convert DVDs to MKV.
Play Mkv Format
Top 2: DivX Player
1. This MKV video player on Mac lets you watch movies up to 4K.
2. It supports a large number of video formats, like AVI, DIVX, MKV and MP4.
3. You can decide to play videos from the beginning or view certain chapters.
4. It is able to switch between soundtracks and subtitles seamlessly.
5. If you have oceans of videos, you can create playlists and watch videos without interruption.
1. When playing online MKV videos, it needs a web browser.
2. The player sometimes freezes due to unknown reasons.
Top 3: KMPlayer
1. The MKV player for Mac offers quick playback and fully customizable interface.
2. When playing videos, the system time will be displayed for changing into elapsed or total playback time.
3. It lets you view information regarding the file and filters.
4. You can set audio streams, repeat and shuffle options based on your needs.
5. The built-in help menu is useful to average people and beginners.
1. It will download extra software, like Opencandy, when you install.
2. If you get it from website, chances are that it packs virus or malware.
Top 4: 5KPlayer for Mac
1. The MKV video player for Mac is able to play MKV and other video files up to 5K/4K/1080p.
2. It allows you to download online videos from YouTube, DailyMotion, etc.
3. In addition to MKV, it also supports FLV, MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, and more.
4. If you use it on Nvidia or Intel, it will smooth the playback with hardware acceleration technology.
5. You can stream music and videos from iPad, iPhone and iPod to computer within the player directly.
1. It lacks some important features as an MKV player, such as no subtitle options.
2. It is not very configurable.
Top 5: Elmedia Player
1. The MKV player for Mac can play HD movies in MKV format smoothly.
2. Besides MKV, it is compatible with almost all commonly used video formats.
3. You can watch online videos within the program through URL or download them to hard disks.
4. It has the capacity to extract audio files from MKV or other videos.
5. If you have an iOS device, it could help you to stream videos via AirPlay.
1. Some advanced features are only available in the pro version.
2. You cannot convert MKV videos to other formats within the media player.
Top 6: MplayerX
1. The MKV video player fits in Mac OS X environment perfectly with the hotkeys and design.
2. It will remember the interrupted spot and start file reproduction from here.
Play Mkv For Mac Windows 7
3. The player will detect your video library and play next video file automatically.
4. You can control the playback with an Apple remote and mouse.
5. It allows you to stream videos to smart TV or home center and enjoy them on larger screen.
1. It is only available to Mac OS X.
2. The media player cannot create playlist.
Top 7: Kodi
1. It is not only an MKV player, but also a media library for videos, audio, movies and images.
2. The interface is user friendly and customizable with oceans of add-ons.
3. The open source feature allows you to build you won favorite add-ons.
4. The video player's sound quality is pretty good.
1. The installation and configuration are pretty complex.
2. Some add-ons are not free though the player is free to use.
Seeking for media players for Android? Here is the list.
Based on our reviews, you should grasp at least 15 best MKV players. Now, you can pick your favorite one and start enjoying your HD movies.
by Christine Smith • 2020-10-27 15:13:32 • Proven solutions
As many Mac users have noticed, they can't play or open MKV files on Mac. What's the matter? MKV is a free, open-source container format with different types and an unlimited number of video, audio, picture, or subtitle tracks, making it unrecognizable by a single player like QuickTime. Then how to watch MKV files on Mac? Don't worry. We collect 3 methods for you to play MKV Mac successfully.
Part 1. Play MKV with All-in-one Wondershare MKV Player & Converter
Without further ado, I'd like to recommend you Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate), which combines MKV player and MKV converter into one, allowing you to free play MKV, MP4, MOV, and over 1000 popular video formats and easily convert MKV formats to other supported formats for playing back on any player.
1. Play MKV on Mac with Wondershare Free MKV Player
Step 1 Add MKV to Wondershare Free MKV Player
Open the Wondershare MKV player, drag, and drop your MKV video to the MKV video player. Then the added MKV file will be loaded in the video thumbnail.
Step 2 Play .mkv on Mac
Move the mouse over the MKV video thumbnail. You'd see a Play icon in the middle just as the screenshot shows.
Click the Play icon, and you'll see the loaded MKV video starts playing immediately.
2. Convert MKV to MOV or Other Formats Supported with Wondershare MKV Converter Mac
Here we take converting MKV to MOV as an example. See the detailed steps below.
Step 1 Add MKV Files to Convert to MOV
Launch Wondershare MKV Converter Mac, click to browse your Mac, and add your target MKV video to the program.
Step 2 Choose MOV as Output Format
Click the down arrow icon beside Output Format to get the full list of the output formats, select Video > MOV and choose a video resolution in the right.
If you have a lot of MKV files and want to play them on other Apple devices like iPhone, iPad, or iPod, you'd better convert MKV to an optimized device. In short, you can choose any format or device you want (most popular format or devices are also supported here).
Step 3 Convert MKV to MOV Easily
Hit Start All or Convert to start converting MKV videos on Mac. Once the MKV conversion completes, you can click the folder-like icon beside File Location in the bottom to get the converted .mov file. Now you can freely play MKV video with QuickTime player. Here, you also can download the MKV videos from the online site as the MOV format in this Wondershare Video Downloader for Mac easily.
Part 2. Convert MKV to Mac-compatible Formats with Free MKV Converter Online
Here is an easier way for you to free convert MKV to other supported formats on Mac. With the online MKV converter tool AConvert, you don't need to install any program but start MKV conversion online.
- Open AConvert, click on Video from the Control Panel located on the left side first.
- Click on the File > Browse button to add your MKV file.
- On Target Format, click on the down arrow and search for MOV or other formats.
- Click on Convert Now to initiate MKV conversion. Once finished, you can find the converted MKV files under Conversion Results.
Part 3. Install Perian Plugin for QuickTime to Play MKV on Mac
Perian is a free, open-source QuickTime component that adds native support for many popular video formats like the MKV. When you've had Perian installed, you have to quit QuickTime completely and then restart it.
Note that you don't close the QuickTime Window. Actually, it's still running in the background. Since only that way, QuickTime can update its format and encoding library. See the detailed steps below.
- Download Perian for QuickTime and double click to launch it.
- Drag and drop QuickTime components to Perian.
- Restart all programs related to QuickTime, including iTunes, QuickTime Player, your browser, etc.
Now you'll find that QuickTime now can magically support more diverse video formats: AVI, DivX, DivX 3.11 alpha, XviD, MS-MPEG4 v3, 3ivX, MS-MPEG4 v2, MS-MPEG4 v1, Truemotion VP6, Sorenson H.263, FLV, and formats that an AVI file contains--AC3, AAC Audio, VBR MP3, mpeg4, and h.264. In short, feel free to play MKV files on Mac.